By the turn of the century, about 15 homesteading families called the area home. In 1899, Theodore Carlton (Carl or "T.C.") Schnebly, and his wife, Sedona Miller Schnebly, joined T.C.'s brother, Ellsworth (D.E.), in the Oak Creek Area.
T. C. Schnebly was an enterprising young man. He had 80 acres with a general store and hotel (in his house), where Tlaquepaque and the Los Abrigados resort are now located.
Mr. Schnebly saw the need for regular mail service in the little community and organized its first post office. He first suggested the names "Oak Creek Crossing" and "Schnebly Station" to the Postmaster General in Washington. They were considered too long by the Postmaster, so both were rejected. Ellsworth then suggested to Theodore to submit Sedona's name for the honor. Theodore submitted it, and on June 26, 1902, the Postmaster approved the name 'Sedona'.