Our namesake: Sedona Miller Schnebly
By the turn of the century about 15 homesteading families called the area home. In 1899, Theodore Carlton (Carl or T.C.) Schnebly and his wife Sedona Miller Schnebly joined T.C.'s brother, Ellsworth in the Oak Creek Area.
T. C. Schnebly was an enterprising young man. He had 80 acres with a general store and hotel, which was also his house, where Tlaquepaque and the Los Abrigados resort are now located. Schnebly saw the need for regular mail service in the little community and organized its first post office. He first suggested the names "Oak Creek Crossing" and "Schnebly Station" to the Postmaster General in Washington.
These names were considered too long by the postmaster, so both were rejected. Ellsworth then suggested that Theodore submit the name of his wife, Sedona. Theodore did, and on June 26, 1902, the postmaster approved the name for the community.
At right: Statue of Sedona Schnebly, created by local artist Susan Kliewer and donated by the Red Rock Arts Council.
- The year round population of Sedona is approximately 10,000 (census 2010).
- The elevation of Sedona is approximately 4,350ft at the City Hall.
- Sedona has almost 19 square miles, 51 percent of which is owned by private land owners. The rest belongs to Coconino National Forest.
- The highest point in Sedona is approximately 5,600ft at Coffee Pot Rock. The lowest point in Sedona is approximately 4,000ft at Oak Creek, Back O' Beyond Rd.
- The average age of Sedona residents is 50. Sedona hots 2 to 4 million tourists per year.