The Park Master Plan was presented to City Council on November 10, 2016, and the proposal included the following list of park features and the draft site plan to the right.
Major elements • Barn and House: multi-purpose community rental spaces
• Plaza: multi-purpose open area between the house and barn
• Open Lawn: large open area south of the barn
Park amenities • Walking path
• Picnic tables, benches
• Play feature
• Pickleball courts
• Historic interpretive information
• Art murals and sculptures
Possible activities • Community events
• Weddings, family reunions
• Community garden, farmers market
• Concerts, dances, plays, movies
• Historic talks and tours
• Classes, workshops, meetings, conferences
• Temporary art galleries
Design features • Green building: energy and water efficient
• Native landscaping: plants representative of the natural, local landscape
• Orchard trees for shade and in recognition of the historic orchards in Sedona
Project background In 2014 the city purchased 3.4 acres at 250 Brewer Rd. that was the former site of a Forest Service Ranger Station. The property includes the historic Forest Service Ranger Station house (1917) and barn (1934), which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The city is developing a park master plan to guide future renovations, design, construction, and public use of the property. The proposal is based on the many comments received.
Highlights in the History of the Ranger Station Property
City of Sedona purchases the 3.4 acre parcel on Brewer Road which includes the historic barn and house.
The 21-acre lot is split into 3 parcels when the private owner divested of the property.
Ranger Station Residence, Barn, and Pumphouse listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The buildings are eligible because of their significance to the history of Sedona, Forest Service, and Civilian Conservation Corps. The period of significance is 1917 to 1958 when the new administration building was built and the residence converted to office space. The Ranger Station is also significant as one of the earliest standing ranger stations in Arizona.
U.S. Forest Service auctions 21-acre parcel for $8.4 million. A condition of purchase was a Preservation Covenant that insures that the house and barn are preserved and their historic character maintained in perpetuity.
1999 The two buildings are designated as Sedona City Historic Landmarks by the City's Historic Preservation Commission*.
1959 The administration building was built south of the barn (this building is not considered historically significant, is in poor condition and likely to be demolished).
1935 The USFS/Delia Hart Pumphouse is built circa 1935 by the CCC to pump water from Oak Creek. The Pumphouse is located to east of the ranger station between SR 179 and Oak Creek, and was connected to the Ranger Station by a series of water pipes. The Pumphouse was in use until 1950.
1934 The Ranger Station Barn is constructed by the CCC, using Forest Service plans for a “Standard Ranger Station Barn.” The barn is 2000 sq. ft. with a second-story hayloft at the east end of the building. The interior of the barn has been modified for use as storage, workshops, and offices by the Forest Service.
1917 The Ranger Station house was built in 1917. The building follows a standard Forest Service plan for a “Three-Room Ranger Dwelling.” The building was expanded in the 1930s when a porch was added, which was then enclosed after 1985.