Business Checklist

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Starting or changing your business? This Business Checklist (download as a PDF here) will help guide you through the permitting and approval process. If you would like assistance with starting or managing your business, visit the Economic Development page. For a list of regional and state resources see the business resources page.

Summary Checklist

• Business license$
• Tenant occupancy permit$
• Fire safety inspection
• Sign permit$
• Certificate of Occupancy 

May be required
• Tenant improvement permit$
• Liquor license$
• Health permit

$ May require a fee

checkbox Business license

Businesses operating within the city limits, including businesses operated out of a home, must have a current business license issued by the city. The annual fee for a license is $70. Visit the business license page to learn about the process and download the license form or contact (928) 204-7185 or

checkbox  Site selection 

Commercial properties are zoned for different types of businesses and it is important to know the allowable uses and restrictions of a property before making a decision to purchase or lease. Call Community Development: 928-282-1154 or stop by City Hall for assistance.

Zoning. Determine the zoning for the property, which is described in the Land Development Code. Go to the GIS map viewer to determine the zoning designation for a property or call us.

Parking. The amount of parking required will be based on the type of business. Certain businesses have minimum parking requirements and some properties may have parking limitations. We can tell you what's required.

Wastewater. Some types of businesses may require additional wastewater capacity. To apply for commercial wastewater service call 928-204-7205 or visit Wastewater utility billing services.

checkbox Permits

Prior to opening for business - whether new or relocating - an approved Tenant Occupancy Permit and a Certificate of Occupancy are required. Contact Community Development: 928-282-1154 or go to Permits to download applications.

Tenant occupancy permit
Required for all businesses new to Sedona and those moving to a new location within the city. The purpose of this permit is to verify that the type of business is an allowed use for the property, parking is adequate, wastewater fees are paid, and the building is safe to occupy.

Tenant improvement permit
If you are making improvements or alterations to a building, you will need a Tenant Improvement Permit. Required for any construction, remodeling, or renovations to the interior or exterior of a commercial building.

The city Building Inspector and Fire District Fire Marshal will visit the property and review the building to ensure that it is safe to open for business. After the building passes inspections a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued which will allow you to open for business.

Certificate of Occupancy
Required to open for business. The city will issue a Certificate of Occupancy after the building passes inspections by the Building Inspector and the Fire Marshal.

checkboxFire safety

Businesses must have a fire inspection completed by the Fire Marshal to ensure that your plans and fire system meet Sedona’s fire code. This applies to new construction, remodels, and renovations of existing business space. Contact Sedona Fire District: 928-282-6800,, Fire Station 1/District Office: 2860 Southwest Drive, Sedona.

checkbox Sign permit

If you are installing new signs or changing an existing sign, you will need a sign permit. The City’s sign regulations are set forth in the Land Development Code § 6, which includes standards on placement, colors, materials, and sign type. Call us when deciding on a sign design before creating the sign.


Your business will need to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). See the Small Business ADA Guidelines PDF for information.

checkbox Food business
If your business will be serving food, you will need to meet County health requirements.
• If your business is in Yavapai County, go to Yavapai County Environmental Health for more information. 
• If your business is in Coconino County, contact: Coconino County Public Health Services District, 928-679-7272, 2625 N. King St., Flagstaff.

checkbox Utilities  
here is a list of utility providers on the city’s utility web page

checkbox Liquor license
Contact Sedona Community Development 928-282-1154, City Hall, 102 Roadrunner Drive, Sedona, Building 104.
Contact:  Arizona Department of Liquor. If your business will purchase, store, serve, or provide liquor, you will need to be licensed by the Arizona Department of Liquor. If you will hold a special event that will serve liquor, the city requires Special Event Liquor Licenses.

checkbox Special Events

If you are considering holding a special event or activity, you may need a Temporary Use Permit. Call or stop by for assistance with permits for your event.

checkbox Code Compliance

The city’s Land Development Code and the City Code have a variety of regulations that may affect your business. There are standards on building height, landscaping, parking, lighting, and signs. Below are several issues to consider as you prepare to open.

  • Lighting. Sedona is a designated International Dark Sky City, and the City sets standards for outdoor lighting that is energy efficient and dark sky compliant. If you are replacing a light fixture or installing new lights, refer to the Land Development Code § 5.8 for exterior lighting standards.
  • Noise. The community values a quiet environment, especially at night. There are sound level limits for different times of the day which vary by zoning classification (see Chapter 8.25 of the City Code).
  • Home occupation.  A home occupation is a business, profession or other economic activity conducted full or part-time in the principal residence of the person conducting the business. Please refer the Land Development Code § 3.4.D for details.