Court FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


How do I know if my citation is for a criminal offense or civil violation?  Each of the charges listed on your citation has a box that is checked to indicate the type of offense: criminal, criminal traffic, civil traffic or petty offense.  Your citation may contain more than one type of offense.

What should I do when I receive a citation for a criminal or criminal traffic offense?  You are required appear in court on the date and time indicated on the citation. Failure to do so will result in a contempt of court charge and warrant for your arrest. If you retain an attorney to handle the case, your attorney can file a notice of appearance and a plea of not guilty on your behalf. 

»» If you are under 18 years of age and have received a citation for a civil traffic moving violation, you must appear in court on the date and time indicated accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Failure to do so may result in suspension of your driver's license. 

»» If you received a citation for a civil traffic offense, and are an adult you must do one of the following: appear in court on or before your scheduled appearance date OR pay your fine by mail or online OR request a civil traffic hearing. Failure to do so will result in default judgment being entered against you for the full amount of the fine, assessment of additional default fees and the suspension of your driver license.

You should receive a court fine schedule with your citation. If you did not receive the fine schedule you can view it online here. If you are charged with a moving violation --which is maked with an asterik (*) on the fine schedule -- you may be eligible for defensive driving school if you have not attended a DDS within the last two years. The fine schedule includes information about DDS and how to enroll. 

How do I pay my fine?  Visit our Pay a Fine page.

When is my court date?  The date will be shown on the citation as "You must appear at the date and time indicated."  If you are uncertain call the court at (928) 282-1189.

How do I get a refund on my cash bail?  Once authorized by a judge refunds are mailed three to four days after a defendant's court date.

There is a warrant out for my arrest.  What do I do?  Appear in court as soon as possible to see a judge. You also may pay a bail/bond at the jail and be given a new court date.

Can you tell me if my license has been suspended?  Visit and follow the Motor Vehicle links.

When and where do I report for the Defensive Driving Program?  Refer to the envelope you received from the police officer for information. Call the school with whom you registered. For more information call 888-334-5565 or visit  the Arizona Supreme Court web site at 

How do I get a continuance for my Defensive Driving Class?  The school with whom you registered can obtain a continuance for you when you register, or call the court at (928) 282-1189.

What happens after Defensive Driving Class?  When you complete the class at an Arizona Supreme Court certified school, the school notifies the court of your completion and the charge is dismissed on your record. For further questions, call the Court at (928) 282-1189.

Can I take advantage of the Defensive Driving program for an Arizona citation if I live out-of-state? If you wish to attend out-of-state, contact one of the Arizona schools listed on the envelope you received from the Police Officer. One of these schools can coordinate your attendance in your state, and complete the dismissal with the court.

How do I get protection from my violent spouse or the person with whom I live?  Request an Order of protection. Call the Court at (928) 282-1189 or come to the court at 102 Roadrunner Dr, Sedona.

Can you stop threats from my neighbor/acquaintance/coworker, etc.? Request an "Injunction Against Harassment"  -- see Injunctions Against Harassment. Call the court at (928) 282-1189 or come to court at 102 Roadrunner Dr., Sedona.

I want to marry at City Hall. Do I get a marriage license from you?  No, you must contact Yavapai County Superior Court in Camp Verde at (928) 567-7714 or Coconino County Superior Court in Flagstaff at (928) 779-6535.